Unfortunately, as with every other type of human endeavor, elder and estate issues sometimes result in litigation. Similarly, many of our clients are business owners who face disputes and litigation that, unless handled properly, could prove crippling to their company, and by extension to the family.
Whether it be a dispute over the appointment of a guardian or conservator, a dispute over the provisions of an estate plan, a dispute with the Medicaid authorities, or anything else, we can help. Recent examples of our litigation work include:
- Successfully defended a contested guardianship and conservatorship, including victory in both the Probate Court and the Court of Appeals.
- Successfully litigated the contested appointment of an estate’s personal representative.
- Successfully proved at trial the fraudulent conveyance of a deed to real estate, including the forged signature on the deed, by certain family members who had not been named in a will.
- Successfully defended a property developer in a commercial real estate dispute related to the purchase of a large condominium complex.
- Successfully defended a business owner in a federal employment discrimination trial.
- Successfully litigated a disputed asset purchase agreement related to the sale of a manufacturing establishment.
- Successfully obtained an injunction, including an award of attorney’s fees and full damages, in a shareholder derivative suit brought in the context of a dispute between shareholders of a finance company.
Similarly, we have substantial experience all types of contract and tort litigation for small and family-owned businesses. We have trial experience in district courts across the state, as well as in the United States District Court. We also have extensive litigation and trial experience outside of Colorado.